Friday 11 October 2013

Biting Into The Big Apple...

In the end I did bring my laptop with me, but it is not until now that I have any free time to write a post. So, I will begin with yesterday and a very wet start from campus. To my surprise we were taking a coach to New York, so my visions of being sardined in a seat for three and a half hours were ill-founded. In traditional coach trip style, my breakfast was a much needed Burger King meal on the way down. 

After a slight delay with some roadworks we caught our first glimpses of a hazy Manhattan. Crossing over from Brooklyn, we arrived at the Best Western Inn, Seaport in the financial district right next to the Brooklyn Bridge. 



We went to our rooms, dumped our things and then were straight out the door in the direction of the Freedom Tower and the 9/11 memorial. The memorial itself was very impressive and a change from our visit seven years ago when there was little more than messages taped to chain link fencing. 







That done, we walked on to Chinatown and then to meet a friend of Lenka's studying in New York. He showed us to Shake Shack - a great burger venue in Madison Square Park. The sun set and the pink top of the Empire State light up the backdrop. 





With David navigating for us, we made for Soho and Greenwich to find somewhere to have a drink, settling on the 'Tavern on Jane'. Having said our goodbyes, we trekked back to the hotel after a long day's travel and walking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment