Wednesday 21 May 2014

On The Road Again...

Today I bid farewell to the kind and generous people in Montville to begin the final stint of travelling before heading home. This morning I packed up the last of my things and cleared up the bedroom, ensuring that nothing was left behind (touch wood). 

For breakfast Sean and I headed to OHOP (Original House of Pancakes) to meet up with a couple of his friends - I did think it was better than IHOP. We ate and chatted for an hour or so, then it was time to head to the bus stop. There, I bid goodbye to Sean, looking forward to see him on home turf in a month, and boarded the bus into the Port Authority like I did on Saturday.  

It was a much smoother ride in to the city outside of rush hour and the weekend throng, until we hit the tunnel. With the Peter Pan Bus for DC leaving at 1:00pm and our bus still in the tunnel at 12:40pm a slight panic kicked in. But, we cleared the traffic and my purposeful stride took me briskly through the station, and down to the correct gate within minutes of the bus pulling up. 

Once on board I quickly decided that for $13, the properly air-conditioned, wifi accessible bus with power points, seat belts and leg room, made for the best value ride this year - cast your minds back to the aptly named 'Ming In Bus' service at Spring Break.

The ride into DC took four and a half hours, but I've become so used to long journeys that it passed by fairly quickly, and with two seats to myself I managed to get a bit of rest. We arrived in DC slightly ahead of time and then it was three-quarters of an hour on the metro from Union Station across to Arlington. 

Once again, I have been greeted with maximum warmth and generosity as another family has opened up their home for a random Brit to crash in for a couple of nights - mistake number one: they showed me where the tea is. I chatted with Caitlin's brother and sister and ate, before meeting her parents. Unwinding for the evening, I am looking forward to a lazy day tomorrow to fully recoup before the final flight on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment