Saturday 24 August 2013

Messing About In Boats...

Today was our first day of true release for induction schedules and we relaxed in style. After breakfast we met up and walked down to the farmers market in town that happens every Saturday. (I was very annoyed that I forgot the camera, but I will be mooching photos off other people at some point, so stay tuned for picture updates.) The market sold everything from clothes to cushions, food to flowers. There, we met up with Sean, Sam, Fran and Shannon, and went to 'Play it again Sam' for some drinks. I had that all important cup of tea, despite the temperature pushing 30 and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. 

From there we headed down to the dock and waited for the others to join us. Annoyingly Lenka and I had to break away at 12:00 to have our adviser meeting, but it gave me a chance to change, get the camera, towel and sun cream - good job I did as I was one of the few who didn't seem to get burnt. 

When we returned, the BBQ was burning, tended by Chris, the food was out and the kayaks were on the water. I had some food and drink and then set out onto the Chester River, not letting the skeleton of a catfish deter me, but armed with my water gun for protection. Kayaking was great and I headed back out, paddling solo after the water balloon fight. The a couple of tall ships, jet skis and other craft were out on the river, so I could catch some immense ripples in their wake. 

I paddled alongside one of the ships and caught the attention of an elderly and as is the American custom, she asked where I was from. Having told her I was from England I proceeded to joke that I had indeed kayaked the whole way - I was in an ocean kayak after all. After she commended me on my achievement, not quite grasping the quip, I made for the jetty and spent the remainder of our time there vegging in the shade. So far I have only acquired one bite on my arm and I will just have to hope that no more critters got me today.

Once we had returned to campus, I showered away the sun cream and smell of catfish and sorted out some bits and pieces before dinner. After we had eaten, I went with Sam, Dale and Caitlin to Walgreen's for them to stock up on Aloe Vera for their burnt limbs, whilst I Reveled (pun intended) in the sweet aisle and bought some dark chocolate M&Ms that we can't get back home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment