Saturday 24 August 2013

Checking Out Chestertown...

Yesterday we had a free morning, which was a chance to try and move along the process of letting out my student room back home, and also speak with my parents about the last few days. 


Following lunch, Caitlin gave us a tour around Chestertown with the other peer mentor groups, so I now know where to go get a good cup of tea, which is a lifesaver. We walked down to the pavilion at the waterfront, where we will be taking out boats and kayaks today, but more on that later. 

After the waterfront was the C.V. Starr Center, which I think I will go to, having heard the words "discuss history" and "publishing opportunities" in the same sentence.

We arranged to take the swim test at 5pm so that we could go out on the water, those of us who wanted to headed to the pool. The test itself was eight lengths (four laps) followed by five minutes of treading water to prove that we don't simply give up on life if we fall out of the boat. -  Frankly, if I was treading water for five minutes and everyone else on the bank wasn't making the effort to help me, then I'd be culling some Facebook friends when I got back to Worcester. 

After dinner, we headed over to Decker to watch the mentalist Banachek. - For people back home, he's the US version of Derren Brown. The show was good, with some people believing the act more than others. As a skeptic on such things, I was quite surprised when the guy in front of me leaped out of his seat and made for the door when Banachek bent a fork with his 'mind'. In his final act with knives, I was kind of hoping that he would push down on a real blade. Partly because the event and the picture to go with it would have spiced up this blog post no end, and I was glad when Sean told me that he had been thinking the same. (I still can't believe that Sean isn't a Senior, let alone younger than I am - you're great at what you do!)

Looks like it's going to be a much warmer day today, so I think I will take down sun cream just in case my whiter than white skin cannot take all the UV that America has to offer.

(If anyone is wondering, I charge $5 for a shout-out on the blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment